Sunday, July 19, 2009

Nude in Black & White

This winter a friend asked me if I would do some nude photographs for her. I haven't had much experience with nude photography, but was excited about the challenge and possibilities for the shots. She hired me for a few hours and I set up a backdrop with a few light stands in her living room and used a very basic lighting set up. And when I say very basic, I mean with Canon flashes only, two 580 EX II's and one 550 EX. I used the 550 as a master on camera and set the other two flashes on slave, varying the zoom and strength of all three flashes throughout the shoot. A pro-lighting kit is in the budget for 2009. I will be doing another nude shoot this week of another friend, with the same basic set up. Perhaps I will get the two women together at the end of the summer for a "couple" shoot and will use new pro-lighting.


I zoomed the flash in for a more concentrated lighting effect, creating very dark shadows contrasting with bright areas of her body. I like the eye contact she has with the camera here.


I liked the lighting effect here from the cowboy hat. I think the design of lighting on her body from the hat makes it unique and with her head looking down also adds a sense of seduction.

No comments:

Post a Comment